on 7-31-2008 1:30 PM Glenn spake the following:
At 03:41 PM 7/31/2008, you wrote:
on 7-31-2008 12:24 PM Tim Utschig spake the following:
On 07/31/08 12:02, Scott Silva wrote:
The other answer is to get ISC dhcpd to honor the broadcast flag, and broadcast all packets instead of unicasting the answer packets. That I can't find a setting for.
I have no Vista clients to test with, but have you tried "always-broadcast on;" ?
 From "man dhcpd.conf" on CentOS 5.2:
    always-broadcast flag;
    The  DHCP and BOOTP protocols both require DHCP and BOOTP clients
    to set the broadcast bit in  the  flags  field  of  the  BOOTP
    message header.   Unfortunately, some DHCP and BOOTP clients do
    not do this, and therefore may not receive responses from the
    DHCP server.    The DHCP server can be made to always broadcast
    its responses to clients by setting this flag to 'on' for the
    relevant scope; relevant scopes would be inside a conditional
    statement, as a parameter for a class, or as a parameter for a
    host declaration.   To avoid creating excess broadcast  traffic
    on  your network, we recommend that you restrict the use of this
    option to as few clients as possible.   For example, the
    Microsoft DHCP client is known not to have this problem, as are
    the OpenTransport and ISC DHCP clients.
SO... I have to flood my network with broadcast traffic or pay the microsoft extortion... Bill strikes again!

Thanks for that. I had been reading the dhcp man page (I should say book! What a long one.) I guess I missed that. I'll have to set any Vista clients to named hosts so I can limit the traffic.

According to that man page, ISC implies that Vista is broken, and Microsoft implies that ISC is broken. Were playing the blame game again!

How fun!  ;-P

And I thought it was going to get boring...

Nice. Microsoft is regressing to its good old formula of flooding the LAN with lots of 'me too' and 'I am here' packets. Way to improve efficiency!

Yep. Think I'll stick with XP SP2 where and when I can, until I am forced to move on.

Cheers!
I found a tool on the net to at least make it easier to change the Vista behavior. Will have to test it tom. and post a link if anyone wants it.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and