Anne Wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Can't argue with you :-) It does seem likely, as 1GB flash drives wouldn't have been a possibility at that time. I never owned one at all until relatively recently.

> > They didn't work in 98 first edition, nor in NT4 or Win2000 - again, from
> > memory, which could be faulty.
>
>  In Win2k, Micro$oft finally got up to speed and most flash drives
> will work with it, but XP is better.

Fair enough. Out of curiosity - do they work in W2K out of the box, or require some update? I ask because I'm considering W2K as a VM.

Anne
Flash support under qemu seems to be about the same as CD-ROM support. That is, you can access a device present at start up but it's not swappable. Given:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]# lsusb
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 154b:0005 PNY
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000 Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000 you can attach the device to a W2K qemu session by starting qemu with something like:

qemu -usb -usbdevice tablet -hda w2k.img -usbdevice host:001.002 -m 256 -localtime &

I tried swapping two different 1GB thumb drives and the content of the drive wasn't visible after the swap.

If you decide to go the qemu route for a VM with W2K, I wrote about the problems I ran into on my blog at:

http://davenjudy.org/wordpress/?p=29

Getting a basic W2K VM working was fairly easy but getting it fully updated was a real pain. I still have a couple of MS updates that I can't apply since W2K stops working if I do.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce