I'm trying to get bulk photo uploads working with a Drupal web site. The person who coded the Drupal photos module I'm using decided to use a zip archive as a means of batching together a collection of picture files for a bulk upload. Apache is reporting the following PHP error when the bulk upload feature is used:

[Sun Nov 16 22:05:38 2008] [error] [client 192.168.0.192] PHP Fatal error: Class 'ZipArchive' not found in /var/www/fraud/html/davesBlog/sites/all/modules/photos/photos.module on line 1375,
referer: http://davenjudy.org/davesBlog/node/39/photos

The PHP code at line 1375 in photos.module is an unremarkable instantiation of the zip archive handling object. Some Google searches indicate that zip archive handling is a compile time option of PHP and lack of it would cause this error. Running php -i tells me that the CentOS/RHEL PHP was not built with the --enable-zip configuration option.

Does anyone know of a way to get PHP to correctly handle zip archives short of rebuilding my PHP installation from the source RPM with --enable-zip as a configuration option?

Thanks,
Dave Miller

-- Ambrose Bierce