I've so far been unable to make the following work:

I have a small cluster with a master node  ( called bayes.bc.edu on
the public network, and called master.cl.bc.edu on the internal
10.0.0.0 network). and a number of nodes which are purely on the
private network.

I want the master to receive mail and deliver locally (or use .forward
and alias rules) to messages sent from the nodes to u...@master, and I
want it to relay non-local addresses to my campus relay host which is
another machine.

The relay part works ok,  all mail addressed in a form that my campus
relay host recognizes gets delivered. The problem is that mail to

u...@master.cl.bc.edu  (the internal name)  gets relayed to the campus
relay which does not know about the host name master.cl.bc.edu because
that is defined on a private DNS server for the cluster, and the
campus relay rejects the message.

How can I get my cluster master to not relay messages addressed to
@master.cl.bc.edu?
The queueing/resource manager (torque/pbs) wants to send automatic
status messages to u...@master.cl.bc.edu and that cannot easily be
changed.

Mail MTA is postfix for both master and nodes
Some postfix settings on the master.

myhostname = bayes.bc.edu
mydomain = bc.edu
myorigin = bayes.bc.edu