dnk wrote:
Hi there,

I am currently setting up a server that will house my backups (simply using rsync).

This system has 4 X 500 gb drives and I am looking to raid for max drive space and data safety. Performance is not so much a concern.

My experience with software raids in nil, so some of these may seem like pretty dumb questions.

I was thinking a raid 1 is probably sufficient.

Would it be best to raid 1 two drives each and LVM them together?

My next question would be about how to do this as I have never done a linux software raid.

Linux software raid works fine and I use this recipe
http://linux-raid.osdl.org/index.php/Partitioning_RAID_/_LVM_on_RAID
If you can afford a proper hardware raid controller for raid 6, that would be of better performance than linux software raid, other than that I have found performance of linux based md using raid 1 to work fine.

begin:vcard
fn:Rob Kampen
n:Kampen;Rob
email;internet:r...@kampensonline.net