________________________________

        From: centos-boun...@centos.org [mailto:centos-boun...@centos.org] On
Behalf Of Rudi Ahlers
        Sent: Sunday, June 14, 2009 11:54 AM
        To: CentOS mailing list
        Subject: Re: [CentOS] which programming language for server-side admin
tasks

        On Sun, Jun 14, 2009 at 8:31 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikes...@gmail.com>
wrote:

                Rudi Ahlers wrote:
                > Hi,
                >
                > I would like to spend some time learning a new coding
language, but
                > specifically for server side admin stuff, i.e. setting up
users / databases
                > / FTP accounts / virtual domains on Apache, etc.
                >
                > I already know PHP, but realize it's not quite suited for
this kind of
                > admin, and I suppose I need to look @ PERL / Python / C++ /
Ruby? / others?

                > Can someone give me some pointers on this?
                >
                > I basically need to write a control panel, with web access
for admins to
                > manage servers, similar to what cPanel / WebMin / Plesk / etc
does right
                > now, but something more customized for our needs.

                I can't help thinking that you are just about to repeat all the
security
                mistakes those other tools have spent years correcting and that
you'd be
                much better off using one of the existing tools or making minor
mods.

                Having said that, it's really about time for someone to tackle
this in
                java - perhaps with most of the details in a backend LDAP
database.

                --
                  Les Mikesell
                   lesmikes...@gmail.com

        Hi Les, while I understand where you're coming from, I don't quite
agree with you. A programming language doesn't make security mistakes, the
coder does :)  What I'm looking for, is which programming language will be
best, i.e. fastest. My OS of choice would be CentOS, but even then that won't
make a difference either.

        I can do most of this in PHP, but I do think PHP is a bit slow for
this, being a scripting language, and not a compiled language.

        LDAP can / would but be one component of the whole thing, and I'm not
very fond of JAVA, since it's rather slow. Ideally I need something which could
interact with the OS layer directly

        --
        Kind Regards
        Rudi Ahlers

If you're looking for shear speed, C++. However if you're looking for ease of
programming paradigm with OO ideas, etc, then Ruby or Python. If however you
want a middle ground, go Perl. It is fairly fast (faster than Python and Ruby),
and is fairly extensible for talking to the OS. Note however Perl's object
framework leaves much to be desired from OO purists.

--
Gary L. Greene, Jr.
IT Operations