Kemp, Larry wrote:
> All great responses.
>
> Why would a small business want to run their own DNS? Independence and
> control.
>
> If you want or require the ability to route people to internal (on your
> LAN/WAN) web-based applications to URL's like http://intranet or
> https://yourcompanyquickenbooks this is one way rather than having your
> employees try and remember things like https://10.1.1.1 or maintaining a
> bunch of lmosts (Win) and /etc/hosts (*nix) files on workstations and
> laptops. Or if you have trouble frequently with your ISP's DNS servers
> (Comcast or whoever) this is a simple way to go (caching). Make sure you
> secure it and have it nicely hidden in a DMZ or on your internal net through.
> One snag to keep in mind is that if you have your internal server acting
> authoritatively for yourcompany.com and externally it is a different SOA you
> could run into overlap issues. But in general the reason is that most
> companies have stuff in their internal DNS they certainly do not want known
> in the public and want to manipulate resolution internally for some things.
> But if your business can live without the
be
>  nefits or protection that running your DNS server internally brings, then
> really no need to add another server to your admin duties unless you are
> really excited to manage a DNS server or tackle some complex and uber-secure
> Master/Slave architecture as a project. Hopes this helps.

Another reason would be to avoid your ISP's redirection when a host
doesn't resolve.  Comcast, for example, will send your request to their
search page.  This can confuse some people, or can potentially end up
leading you to a malicious page (I don't trust their search results).
It's also annoying because pretty much everything will resolve whether
it is valid or not.

Ryan Pugatch
Systems Administrator, TripAdvisor