[...]

>> On some servers this behavior returned despite rsize being set to 32k,
>> I had to set it to 8k to get reasonnable throughput. So there's
>> definitly something fishy going on. This has been reported on over 20
>> machines, so I don't think it's faulty hardware we're seeing.
>>
>> Any thoughts, ideas on how to debug this ?
>
> Can you explain the network environment and the connectivity between the
> client and server some more.

Clients are blade servers. The blade chassis have integrated cisco
switches, which are plugged to a cisco 6509. The NFS server is on
another site 40km away, directly connected to another 6509.  These
datacenters are linked via DWDM.
Latency between a client and the NFS server is about half a
millisecond. Jumbo frames are enabled.

Blades have 1 Gb link
The NFS server has multiple 1Gb links, used for different shares
Neither are close to full utilization, maybe 100Mb/s of traffic and 20
000 paquets/s at the server end

Alex