On Mon, 6 Dec 2010, Niki Kovacs wrote:

Robert Heller a écrit :

Will FAT support the larger external disks, such as the .5TB and larger?

I read the replies to my previous posts, and I get your point, since I
didn't know about the various limitations. It's probably due to the fact
that we're 100% GNU/Linux here. I haven't booted Windows for work since
before the time Windows XP came out (around 2001). The only time I get
to "work" on Windows is usually to retrieve data before moving it to
CentOS. As far as external hard disks are concerned, they're all ext3
here. Whenever the odd non-Linux user has to exchange data with Linux
here, he or she has to use a Samba share.

So I admit my point of view is somewhat biased :o)

However one point you make is still valid. There is no alternative to NTFS nowadays if you need so share files between Windows and Linux. It is a shame there are not better Ext3/Ext4 drivers that integrate properly into Windows.

Something similar to ntfs-3g must be easier to write for ext3 on Windows (as the ext3 format is well-known).

--
-- dag wieers, d...@wieers.com, http://dag.wieers.com/
-- dagit linux solutions, i...@dagit.net, http://dagit.net/