Yang Yang wrote:
hi,i am new guy for linux world

i made a server (centos5.5 8g ram 300g*2 sas 15k harddisc ),but some my friend use linux feveral years advise me use centos 4.8,he said it is much good than centos 5.5

it is trouble me ,is it newest is good than older?

please give me some advice
The later version is better in most (practically ALL) respects. You only use the older versions if they are already in place and need to support old legacy software that will not run on the later kernel versions. One of the wonderful things about CentOS and Red Hat is that when these versions are released they are normally rock solid and then the added bonus of patch security updates for many years.

Thanks all