From: centos-boun...@centos.org [mailto:centos-boun...@centos.org] On Behalf Of
Ross Walker
Sent: Thursday, 24 February 2011 3:51 p.m.
Cc: <centos@centos.org>
Subject: Re: [CentOS] current bind version

On Feb 23, 2011, at 9:08 PM, "Machin, Greg" <greg.mac...@openpolytechnic.ac.nz>
wrote:

        Hi.

        I have had an enquiry from the Network and Security guy. He wants to
know why CentOS 5.5 /RHEL 5 is using a very old version of bind
“bind-chroot-9.3.6-4.P1.el5_5.3” when the latest release that has many security
fixes is on 9.7.3 . I understand that its to maintain a known stable platform
by in introducing new elements etc .. Is there an official explanation /
document that  I can direct him to.

Please check out:

https://access.redhat.com/security/updates/backporting/?sc_cid=3093

RHEL maintains application binary interfaces during the lifetime of their
releases. Only for applications that can no longer be feasibly maintained
through backporting (ie firefox) do they update the version mid release.

A lot of people don't understand the backporting way of maintaining a stable
platform across a release, it took me a while to appreciate it.

-Ross