On Fri, 2011-11-11 at 04:20 -0600, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On 11/10/2011 07:40 PM, Craig White wrote:
> >>
> >> And right there is the core (or maybe it's 'sore') point to all of this;
> >> it really depends on what you need and how much work you have to do to
> >> make it fit your needs.  And then keeping up with your needs, as they
> >> inevitably change.
> >>
> >> CentOS is what it is: as close as possible to upstream EL without being
> >> upstream EL.  Nothing more, nothing less, and bug-for-bug compatible.  If
> >> that's not what you need, then CentOS won't meet your need.
> > ----
> > close?
> >
> > May 19, 2011 (RH 6.1)
> >
> > I thought the term 'close' only applied to horseshoes and hand grenades.
> >
> > Given the track record for CentOS for v 6, it's pretty clear that
> > installing it means that you are likely to have deployed servers that
> > will lag for months without security updates and it's awful easy to set
> > up iptables  ;-)  I'm not saying this to disparage the developers
> > because I'm sure that they're doing the best that they can but I can't
> > tell my friends/clients/employer/etc. that I can recommend using CentOS
> > knowing the struggles they are having getting out releases & updates.
> >

> This is just no longer true Craig ... you obviously have not been
> looking at or using the CR for CentOS-6.
----
correct, not from lack of desire though.

I was dying to try out FreeIPA but the target is continually moving.
Even at the point where I can install 6.1 FreeIPA is whole on 6.2
----

> We have also now totally automated many parts of the QA system to test
> packages.
>
> http://wiki.centos.org/QaWiki/AutomatedTests/WritingTests/t_functional
>
> Also, I would like an audit of your servers that you manage to see how
> often you install those security updates that ARE available.  How fast
> are you pushing all the updates that you are getting SO QUICKLY with
> these other OS's?
----
I'm not sure why you decided to go here when Russ made it so clear that
this was off-topic so I will defer an answer
----
> I can only tell you that we are cranking out packages at a very quick
> pace now, and that they are also now being tested much better and much
> faster than before.
>
> We are also asking for "the community" to help us be designing tests
> that can be used in t_functional ... have YOU designed any tests to
> ensure that a problem that you have had in the past does not sneak in
> anymore and put it in t_functional ... or are you just here to
> continually complain and run down our OS?
----
If that's how you see it - then so be it. I would suppose it would be
unnecessary to re-quote your own thoughts on timeliness of security
updates on another list but certainly relevant. I don't see myself
'running down' CentOS at all but noting that installing CentOS 6.0 on a
public facing server requires a leap of faith that I don't currently
have. Perhaps it is useful that not everyone is patiently waiting for
releases, updates and parroting 'good job' when it is 6+ months behind
upstream.

Craig

believed to be clean.