on 5/10/2012 1:14 PM Jon Detert spake the following:
> Two related questions about the minor release numbers (e.g. the 'x' in 5.x or
> 6.x) :
>
> 1) What constitutes the o.s. being at a particluar minor release?  Typically,
> when you install you are getting a package set available from a specific
> minor release number.  But what minor release is the o.s. at if I just update
> the centos-release package, and no other package?  Typically, a 'yum update'
> is said to take your whole package set to the latest minor release.  But what
> minor release is the o.s. if you just update certain packages (instead of
> taking all avaailable updates)?
>
> 2) Can I apply package updates made in a minor release greater than my
> current release without detriment to the integrity of the o.s.?
> E.g. Suppose all my packages are at versions delivered in v5.6.
> Suppose also, that I have a package xyz installed, and that an update to it
> was made available in v5.8.
> Can I upgrade xyz to the updated version from 5.8 without updating other
> packages (except for any dependencies xyz has) to the versions available in
> v5.8?
>
> Thanks,
The minor versions are only snapshots in time when install media is
re-generated... There is no good reason to stay on previous minor versions...
There is really only a 5 version or a 6 version... Staying with older packages
will only give you security problems...