On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 10:52 PM, Martin Millnert <mar...@millnert.se> wrote:
> On Mon, 2015-12-14 at 14:17 +0100, Radoslaw Zarzynski wrote:
>> Hello Folks,
>>
>> I would like to publish a proposal regarding improvements to Ceph
>> data-at-rest encryption mechanism. Adam Kupczyk and I worked
>> on that in last weeks.
>>
>> Initially we considered several architectural approaches and made
>> several iterations of discussions with Intel storage group. The proposal
>> is condensed description of the solution we see as the most promising
>> one.
>>
>> We are open to any comments and questions.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Adam Kupczyk
>> Radoslaw Zarzynski
>>

>> =======================
>> Summary
>> =======================
>>
>> Data at-rest encryption is mechanism for protecting data center
>> operator from revealing content of physical carriers.
>>
>> Ceph already implements a form of at rest encryption. It is performed
>> through dm-crypt as intermediary layer between OSD and its physical
>> storage. The proposed at rest encryption mechanism will be orthogonal
>> and, in some ways, superior to already existing solution.
>>
>> =======================
>> Owners
>> =======================
>>
>> * Radoslaw Zarzynski (Mirantis)
>> * Adam Kupczyk (Mirantis)
>>
>> =======================
>> Interested Parties
>> =======================
>>
>> If you are interested in contributing to this blueprint, or want to be
>> a "speaker" during the Summit session, list your name here.
>>
>> Name (Affiliation)
>> Name (Affiliation)
>> Name
>>
>> =======================
>> Current Status
>> =======================
>>
>> Current data at rest encryption is achieved through dm-crypt placed
>> under OSD’s filestore. This solution is a generic one and cannot
>> leverage Ceph-specific characteristics. The best example is that
>> encryption is done multiple times - one time for each replica. Another
>> issue is lack of granularity - either OSD encrypts nothing, or OSD
>> encrypts everything (with dm-crypt on).
>
> All or nothing is some times a desired function of encryption.
> "In-betweens" are tricky.
>
> Additionally, dm-crypt is AFAICT fairly performant since at least
> there's no need to context switch per crypto-op, since it sits in the dm
> IO path within kernel.

Hello Martin,

I cannot agree about dm-crypt performance in comparison to the OSD
solution. Each BIO handled by dm-crypt must go through at least one
kernel workqueue (kcryptd) [1]. Some of them have to pass additional
one (kcryptd_io) [2]. Those wqueues are served by dedicated set of
kthreads, so context switches are present here. Moreover, the whole
BIO is split into small, 512 bytes long chunks before passing to
ablkcipher [3]. IMO that's far less than ideal.

In the case of application-layer encryption you would operate much
closer to the data. You may encrypt in much larger chunks. Costs of
context switches and op setup phase (important for hw accelerators)
would be negligible providing much better performance. Leveraging
some Ceph-specific characteristics (encrypting only selected pools;
constant complexity according to replica count) multiplies gain even
further.

Regards,
Radoslaw

[1] http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/drivers/md/dm-crypt.c?v=3.19#L1350