On 16-12-2015 20:38, Sage Weil wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Dec 2015, Matt Benjamin wrote:
>> I'm going to push for cmake work already in progress to be moved to the
>> next milestone ASAP.
>>
>> With respect to "make check" blockers, which contains the issue of where
>> cmake puts built objects.  Ali, Casey, and I discussed this today at
>> some length.  We think the current "hackery" to make cmake make check
>> work "the same way" auto* did is long-term undesirable due to it
>> mutating files in the src dir.  I have not assumed that it would be an
>> improvement to put all objects built in a tree of submakes into a single
>> dir, as automake does.  I do think it is essential that at least
>> eventually, it makes it simple to operate on any object that is built,
>> and simple to extend processes like make check.
>
> All of the binaries eventually go into /usr[/local]/bin anyway.  Can we
> do the same here?  (I don't care where intermediate .lo or .o objects
> go...)

Why not take it one step further and have something like:
        ..../ceph/build/{bin,sbin,lib,libexec,etc,tmp,test,log,.....}

which would be separate tree part where all the stuff is build.
Cleaning up will then also become a lot easier.... ATM the stuff in .lib
is not cleaned, I think.
It would also allow to process scripts to fit the local OS by running it
thru m4/sed/awk/perl/...

Or if you prefer so, hang it of ..../ceph/src

But then again this might require something like: make install-build

--WjW