Hi,

Thanks for the interesting discussion. Actually it's a bit disappointing to see that also cephfs with multiple MDS servers is not as HA as we would like it.

it really depends on what you're trying to achieve since there are lots of different scenarios how to setup and configure one or more ceph filesystems. And without testing your desired scenario you can't really say that it's disappointing. ;-)

I read also that filover time depends on the number of clients. We will only have three, and they will not do heavy IO. So that should perhaps help a bit.

In that case it's more likely that your clients won't notice a failover, but again, test it.

Is there any difference between an 'uncontrolled' ceph server (accidental) reboot, and a controlled reboot, where we (for example) first failover the MDS in a controlled, gentle way?

I haven't noticed a difference, but I'm still working with older clusters (mostly Nautilus), maybe in newer versions the failover is smoother, I can't tell yet.

Regards,
Eugen

Zitat von mj <li...@merit.unu.edu>:

Hi all,

Thanks for the interesting discussion. Actually it's a bit disappointing to see that also cephfs with multiple MDS servers is not as HA as we would like it.

I read also that filover time depends on the number of clients. We will only have three, and they will not do heavy IO. So that should perhaps help a bit.

Is there any difference between an 'uncontrolled' ceph server (accidental) reboot, and a controlled reboot, where we (for example) first failover the MDS in a controlled, gentle way?

MJ