Thanks for the response Greg.

Unfortunately, I appear to be missing something.  If I use my "cephfs" key
with these perms:

client.cephfs
    key: <redacted>
    caps: [mds] allow rwx
    caps: [mon] allow r
    caps: [osd] allow rwx pool=data

This is what happens when I mount:

# ceph-fuse -k /etc/ceph/ceph.client.cephfs.keyring -m ceph0-10g /data
ceph-fuse[13533]: starting ceph client
ceph-fuse[13533]: ceph mount failed with (1) Operation not permitted
ceph-fuse[13531]: mount failed: (1) Operation not permitted

But using the admin key works just fine:

# ceph-fuse -k /etc/ceph/ceph.client.admin.keyring -m ceph0-10g /data
ceph-fuse[13548]: starting ceph client
ceph-fuse[13548]: starting fuse

The admin key as the following perms:

client.admin
    key: <redacted>
    caps: [mds] allow
    caps: [mon] allow *
    caps: [osd] allow *

Since the mds permissions are functionally equivalent, either I need extra
rights on the monitor, or the OSDs.  Does a client need to access the
metadata pool in order to do a CephFS mount?

I'll experiment a bit and report back.