My take on the education angle with regards to the computer field is
apparently quite a bit different.

A college degree in any field shows an indication of your ability to learn.
If I have two candidates that are OTHERWISE comparably qualified, the degree
holder will likely get the nod because of an intangible that the degree
implies. (I am not saying that the non-degreed individual is any less
qualified, I am just saying that with the limited information that you
typically have on candidates, the degree makes for a LOGICAL tie breaker.)

With a degreed individual I can expect a moderate level of decent
communication skills, the ability to deal with deadlines, etc. etc.

Because things like this do not tend to be revealed in the
application/resume process, I have to turn to the degree as an indication of
ability.

Tim