I had a form on the Grand Canyon NPS site that used to get hundreds of
submissions a day. Periodically, like once every couple weeks, we'd get
a complaint from a user that the form didn't work. The user explained
that they filled out the form and tried to submit it only to receive an
error.

I'd see the error in the ColdFusion logs. Form fields that absolutely
should have been submitted (such as hidden form fields) simply weren't
submitting. We spent quite a few hours trying to debug it. We even
rewrote the form from scratch twice, breaking it down in to smaller and
smaller multipart forms. We added JavaScript checks, server side checks,
and everything else we could think of. Still, the form fields would not
get submitted.

You're probably hoping that we came across a solution and that I'm now
about to share that solution. Unfortunately, that is not the case. We
simply gave up. We blamed it on a thousand different things, everything
from AOL's proxy servers, to browser caching, to corporate firewalls.
The truth is we never figured it out. Looking back, the only regret I
have is that I spent so much time trying to fix a problem that I had no
control over.

Benjamin S. Rogers
http://www.c4.net/
v.508.240.0051