The big thing about XSL :
+ clear separation from content (XML) and presentation logic (XSL),
+ based on XML
+ designed for XML transformation
+ "standard" and cross-platform
= big hype
(XSL benefits a lot from the XML hype)

I am not a big fan of XSL.
The language is ugly and difficult as the article says.

Right now :
- XSL transformation on the client side is very difficult to implement
because you are dependent of the XSL engine available on the client (which
might be a very old one with extremely limited capabilities),
- XSL transformation on the server side is probably not the best choice, I
prefer to use scripting languages such as CFML to manipulate XML and define
the presentation logic. It is 100 times more efficient, quicker to develop
and to debug than a pure XSL approach.

So, XSL works, but there is often better alternatives to transform XML data
or define presentation logic.
The technology isn't mature enough (and specifications are changing quite
often...).

However, it might be a good option if you need true cross-platform XML
transformation / presentation logic and if the application is heavily based
on XML (an XSL stylesheet could be used in Java, .NET, PHP... on the server
side and/or the client side).

My 2 cents.

Benoit Hediard
www.benorama.com