I definitely agree that it is important to know Java and J2EE nowadays.
But, you can't compare learning java and CFML, they are two completely
different things.

Java and especially J2EE is incredibly complex and requires weeks/month of
training to start getting to know parts of it.
JSP (just a small part of J2EE) requires good knowledges of Java and is
still at a prehistoric stage in terms of functionality and development
compared to the richness of CFML and ASP.NET (event if it is getting better
with JSTL and the future implementation of JSP).

CFML is still unbeatable in terms of productivity and ease of use.

It is pity to say "I didn't upgrade to CFMX and I will never do it."
How can you judge something if you haven't tried it?
In fact, CFMX can be a very good choice for the presentation layer of a big
J2EE app.

Tried to build a small app with JSP and basic JavaBeans then do the same
with CFML and CFCs... you'll we see the difference in terms of
productivity... (and then add a rich client with Flash Remoting!)

Benoit Hediard
www.benorama.com