Yes true. DB are a rational, rather than hierarchical data. LDAP is a closer
match, and of course the file system is another. The problem with moving it
to XML/other is that you can't do joins on the data.

Many DB's have extensions to help with trees. It will be interesting to see
what Microsoft will do in this area, as SQL server engine is going to be
used  to implement the new MS File system.

WB