Good question...
Many people are struggling with that right now...

I don't think that there isn't any structured development methodology for
FlashMX.
Building a Flash Widgets with MX is great and pretty straightforward (like
all the demos of RIA and Flash Remoting...).
But building "real and elegant" complex Flash Applications seems to be for
the moment very difficult or requires extremely deep knowledges of FlashMX.

The few resources on the subject are very low level recommandations (OOP,
MVC...) and do not provide any suggestions for the big picture.

Look at the PetMarket...
It is the only "complex" RIA available right now from MM.
There is some articles on how they've build it.
But still, it is very hard to get into it.

I spent sometimes few month ago to try to build my own framework/methodology
for FlashMX, using OOP, MVC, Flash Components + Remoting and
broacasters/listeners concepts, but it was just a basic prototype and I am
still not very happy with the result (too complex, too much lines of
code...).
I'll try to re-work on it when I'll have some time in few month and might
present some of its concepts at CF-Europe in may (in London).

Some people managed to do it like Grant Skinner and its gModeler
(www.gmodeler.com) : one of the most amazing Flash Application I've ever
seen!
gModeler is built on top of FlashOS2
(http://www.gskinner.com/site1/default.asp) :
"FlashOS2 is the successor to FlashOS by Grant Skinner. It is a collection
of assets that are encapsulate, reusable, and have documented APIs. FlashOS2
allows for very rapid online application development, as it manages common
elements like menus, menu bars, windows, dialogs, tooltips, file management,
settings loading, asset loading, content display, screen management and
more."

To have a structured development methodology for FlashMX is very crucial for
the future of RIA and Macromedia should really try to bring an answer to
this demand (and I suppose that MM is very aware of this problem).
CF Developers would like to be able to build applications more advanced than
simple Flash Widgets.

So? Does anyone have heard about structured development methodologies for
FlashMX+ColdFusionMX?

Benoit Hediard
www.benorama.com