> Alternatively, is there a way around it?  Say having flash call the CFC
> straight away (once) and the CFC will wait until an update has occurred,
> then return the new data to Flash, whereupon Flash will update and call
> the CFC again, which will wait etc etc etc...
>
> How about creating an instance of a java class on the CFC call and
> storing that in a global scope somewhere, which does nothing but wait()
> until an update has occurred, whereupon CF will call a method on that
> java object to break out of the wait statement, so the initial CFC call
> will then complete etc...

By the way, this method is definitely not recommanded because you'll get
timeout problems.
Moreover, each clients waiting for a request will "eat" one thread on your
ColdFusion server.
If several Flash clients connect at the same time, they will quickly "eat"
all your threads and your ColdFusion server will be "dead"...

In my opinion, the only answers to your problem are :
- periodic calls from the client through Flash Remoting to see if an update
has occured,
Very easy to do, nearly real time (every 10 sec. for example), but it
generates a lot of calls/traffic on the server... definitely not recommanded
for large site with hundred of simultaneous clients.
- socket connection
More complex (requires a socket server), but real time and it reduces
dramatically calls/traffic on ColdFusion Server.

Benoit Hediard
www.benorama.com