Possibly, but the only machines I know that aren't usually locked down are
development machines.

You also have to look at how a company services its machines. Many companies
out source their IT support. In this case have a base machine, where all
pieces of software on the machine are known about is very very important
from a contractual point of view.

When I worked for Heinz, you couldn't even right click on the windows start
button as they felt it was a security risk, and very few people had full
internet access.

<shrug>