If you have CFMX, you might also try out :
http://www.benorama.com/coldfusion/components/imaging.htm

It is based on the open source ImageJ java API, 100% java and therefore CFMX
native.
There are setColor(), setFont() and drawString() methods that should fit
your needs.

Benoit Hediard
www.benorama.com

dependable ColdFusion Hosting.