  From: Charlie Griefer
  To: CF-Talk
  Sent: Tuesday, August 12, 2003 6:08 PM
  Subject: Re: Simple html question

  Well, the 'big question' may not be that big to everybody :)

  Yes, it works in NS.  Will it work in NS 4.x?  I don't know.

  Personally, I don't worry about NS 4.x anymore.  In my opinion, the number
  of users with NS 4.x is an acceptable level of loss.  I can't spend
  resources on making sure a page will render properly for a browser that
  represents such a small % of my audience.  To me, that time spent would be
  greater loss.

  This might not be the most popular stance...but given the limited
resources
  that I do have to work with, my feeling is that if my code is
  standards-compliant (by current standards), then I've done my job.  Also
  (and I'm sure this is a very naive belief), I feel that the more we, as
Web
  Developers, cater to each and every browser (if i do *this* then it will
  work correctly in that browser...and add a condition here to make sure it
  works in *that* browser), then we give the browser companies no motivation
  to ensure that their products will render code 'properly'.

  I know that digresses a bit from the original comment (dealing with older
  browsers)...but I'm curious to know if others feel this way...and if so,
do
  you act on it?  Or are you in a position where you don't have the option
(or
  desire) to discount any certain browser(s)?

  As this isn't directly related to CF, hope it's not considered off-topic.
  Seems that since we all develop for the Web, it would be relevant.

  Charlie