You will need a tree of some sort, and I'm tempted to say you might need to have to
walk the tree, as I can't think of any other way to discover friends of friends x
number of levels away. Could be a creative solution though...friendster may cheat in
some way.

According to this page Friendster uses a connected component algorithm.
http://www.rickbradley.com/chron/

Out of curiosity I looked into this algorithm and my brain started smoking. Definitely
not an afternoon project :)