On Thursday, Sep 11, 2003, at 10:13 US/Pacific, Demarco, Alex wrote:
> What is a good rule of thumb as to how many jrun/CFMX instances you
> need?
>
> We have one instance that handles all our web sites, should I break it
> down
> and split the sites amongst several instances?

It depends on a number of factors. If you want robustness (so one
website doesn't trample on another) then yes, multiple instances will
help - and give you a separate CF Admin for each instance. But you also
need to consider the number of CPUs and the amount of RAM on your
server (assuming you're talking about everything on one server). You'd
need to experiment, performance-wise, but I'd say not to have more
instances that you have CPUs for example.

We have two instances (each with a 2-3Gb JVM heap) on each of our 8
CPU, 8Gb RAM servers but then we're running a very high traffic site
(up to 20,000 concurrent sessions during peak traffic).

Sean A Corfield -- http://www.corfield.org/blog/

-- Margaret Atwood