I haven't used MSDE, but for a while before 6.1, we had to use ODBC
Socket because the Merant SQL Server drivers had intermittent
performance issues.
When we were running ODBC socket, we had a couple of issues with valid
queries that would just bomb for no reason...but would work with the
native drivers. Performance was acceptable when it worked though.

--
jon
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]