ColdFusion MX 6.1 has been clocked at sending over 1,000,000 messages per
hour (that is one million) using CFMX Enterprise and enabling maintain
connection and spooling to memory (no disk I/O).

The real "problem" is you must have an SMTP server which can handle the
messages as fast as CFMX can stuff them down the pipe.

CFMX 6.1 Standard and CFMX 6.0 have exactly the same delivery throughput,
which is limited to something reasonable, ~25K per hour, a single thread and
no spooling to memory and no maintain connection.

For more info

http://www.macromedia.com/software/coldfusion/whitepapers/pdf/6_1/cfmx61_per
formancebrief.pdf

  http://www.macromedia.com/software/coldfusion/productinfo/features/cfmail/