Macromedia's defence has always been that the patent was invalidly
issued, and that it's unenforceable.  Because they didn't reveal in their
patent application "Prior Art" which is a patent term I believe refers to
previous examples of the patented technology.

If Macromedia's defence holds, Adobe could well find themselves facing a
patent infringement suit from the other side.   It could turn out the
first
designer of the tear-off tabs in the unix world wants royalties on all the
copies of Photoshop and Illustrator etc.

As always, we watch agog while the titans battle it out, making no one but
the lawyers rich.

Cheers,
Mike Kear
AFP Web Development