Barney,

It was possible to send multi-part Email using CFMail in older version of
ColdFusion.

There, you heard me say it.

It is still possible (but now it is SUPPORTED) to send multi-part Email with
CFMail in CFMX 6.1.

In fact we took a HUGE step FORWARD in supporting multi-part email in 6.1.
You are upset because didn't provide a way to support inlined images as part
of this work.  As a result of IMPROVING CFMail, we broke some of the tricks
people (you and others) were using to work around our failing.  This is
because instead of CFMail being completely stupid, it tries to actually
handle multi-part messages.  When you try to trick it, CF (and JavaMail, the
Java API we use) gets upset.  I apologize for that.  Our (my) bad.  I
goofed, I ran out of time and I didn't make it a priority.  It didn't get
done.

We have since implemented this support (in fact it was done right after 6.1
was shipped, because we/I realized our mistake).  It hasn't made it in to
your hands because it is new functionality/tag attributes and not a good
hotfix candidate.  That sucks for you.  I apologize for that too.

Good News: It *will* be in an updater that we have plans to release in the
fall.  It will be in Blackstone, the next major release of ColdFusion MX.

--
Tom Jordahl
Macromedia Server Development