So to use 2 cfclientdb, I will have to write my code to keep the data up
to date as the jump back and forth between the servers / cfclientdbs.

Sounds like a pain.

-----Original Message-----
From: Steven Erat [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, February 24, 2005 6:16 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: CF MX and CF 5 accessing the same client database storage
for one big application.

Craig Benner wrote:
> Here is a little back ground before I get into my problem.  I have 3
> production web servers.  2 of them are running CF 5 which is load
> balanced.  They are using client variables to keep state and login
> information.  This is working perfectly.  Next I am adding a
standalone
> CF MX 6.1 machine where the APPLICATION NAME will be the same as the
one
> running CF 5.  I also have domain cookies set so the CFID and CFTOKEN
> variables can be viewed from all servers.
>
> The problem I am running into is CF 5 expects the client variables to
be
> in UPPER CASE coming out of the database, but CF 6.1 is able to read
the
> upper case, but when it writes out the changes to the client variables
> it LOWER CASES all variables in the database.  Therefore, when the
user
> makes it back over to the CF 5 machines they lose all their client
> variables.

Don't use the same tables for CFMX and CF5/CF4.x/etc.

I opened bug 37574 in 2002 for this and a CF Engineer closed it as a
non-issue, i.e. don't do that.

My description was:

"Client management CDATA and CGLOBAL tables are written to with
different styles and conflict when shared by CF5 and Neo.  When CF5 and
Neo are running the same application concurrently and when using the
same shared CDATA and CGLOBAL tables in a dsn, Neo will always overwrite

the CF5 CDATA.data column and the CGLOBAL.data column.  CF5 will always
add its own entries to both of these fields IN ADDITION to those already

there from Neo, where Neo had lowercase name value pairs and CF5 added
uppercase name value pairs. Interestingly, sometimes Neo inserts the
value of CFTOKEN without the name/value pair format where it omits the
name but writes the data.  For example the CDATA.data field might start
with "=12345678#foo=bar#" where the the =12345678 is missing the left
side."

--
Steven Erat