I know...another "best practices" thread ;-)

I'm wondering how others out there are handling argument types for web services?

Typically if an argument is meant to be numeric you would code it as such.  Now
if someone calling the webservice were to pass in a string instead of a number
and error would be thrown.

I'm guessing depending on the langauge consuming the web service the error they
get will differ??

Will that error likley tell them they passed an invalid typed argument? or
would it be tough to determine what went wrong?

Would it be better/worse to simply make that argument accept a string and then
in the method make sure it's a number and if not return a meaningful error
message (so no real error occurs)?  or is it better to leave it up to the web
service consumers to try/catch errors in their own dang app and read the web
service specs to know what kind of arguments are to be passed? ;-)

thoughts??

TIA

Cheers

Bryan Stevenson B.Comm.