Actually, you can put your application.cfm outside the webroot and all
directories will be traversed up to the root of the drive until an
application.cfm file is (not) found.  Just because an application.cfm file
doesn't exist in a web-accessible directory doesn't mean it isn't farther up
the directory tree.

Andy