From: S.Isaac Dealey [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, 12 September 2005 6:01 a.m.
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Interface Question

So I'm planning to build out a contact-manager plugin for the onTap
framework. This plugin will allow people to manage multiple address
books each of which can be declared private or public, with selection
criteria including language/locale, company, location (i.e. Downtown
Office), arbitrary regions (provided in the Members onTap plugin),
etc. with custom rules for determing who can do what with each address
book.

None of which has anything to do with my question. :)

The Members onTap plugin maintains an email address for each
application member. I've always hated needing to update lots of
different coppies of an address or phone number when someone moves,
etc. so I'm thinking I'd like to provide some integration between the
email address stored for the member (where forgotten passwords and
system notices are sent, etc) and the email addresses stored in the
member table.

My problem is that I'm not sure how to design it in terms of
user-interface/usabiliy.

I've considered three things:

1) update the contact system automatically when the member email
address is updated (though a member may update their member
system-notification address without wanting to change their "public"
email address)

2) update the member system automatically when a matching contact
email address is changed (though again a member may want to change
their "public" address without altering their member address for
system notifications)

3) present a list of contact names/addresses in page, which could be
changed when changing a member email address

4) ask the user in-page if they want to change the member address when
they change a matching address in the contact system

5) send an email to a member when a matching email address is changed
in the contact system to remind them that their member address hasn't
been updated

All of these potential solutions, in addition to producing more
user-interface questions (or potential annoyances) also carry with
them a number of security implications / limitations. A member who has
permission to edit contact information may or may not be able to edit
member accounts, so there's some question as to whether that should
also apply to the email address? And the inverse is also true that a
member will always have permission to change their own email address,
although even if a person has permission to edit member accounts that
doesn't necessarily mean they have permission to edit contact
information for a particular address book (i.e. a client may be
allowed to manage the member accounts for their own employees - that
doesn't give them rights to edit another client's address book).

Thoughts?

Thanks,

s. isaac dealey     954.522.6080
new epoch : isn't it time for a change?