Matt,

I've been asking a similar question to no avail.
I'm glad someone started this thread over here.

As it seems from your post that you have quite some experience doing this on
your own.  I just wanted to ask some advice of you.

Do you suggest having a set hourly rate, set in stone?  Like for example,
$35/hour.
I guess what I am wondering is if there should be different rates based on,
project planning, as opposed to actual development?  Next, should there be a
different rate for database development, versus application development (PHP,
ColdFusion, Java coding), versus graphic design, versus straight html.  Also do
you recommend "padding" hours, based on the above (padding slightly higher for
database, or CF Code, as opposed to html).

I'm trying to establish a loyal customer base, in baby steps.  I'll sometimes
do small projects for free, or for a very low flat-fee, to start.  I'm hoping
that once they are blown away by the results, I'll get referrals, and the
clients will be more than happy to pay a higher rate based on proven results.

Cheers
--Ali