In the first query, you're creating the values in the first column
dynamically, so it doesn't matter that the user_id is not in the groups
table.  In the test query the only problem I can see is you don't have a
datasource defined.  Both queries should work, even if your user_id is an
integer, although you shouldn't put single quotes around it if it is.
Whatever database you're using (I am assuming SQL Server), an implicit
conversion from char/varchar to int for the user_id column is happening
behind the scenes.

Andy