Jon,

Neither MSWord nor Homesite offer what you are looking for.
I have found myself in the same predicament many times, you want to see the
carriage return character separately as well as the Line Feed character, am I
correct?

I found a great little editor Notepad 2.
Here's the link: http://www.flos-freeware.ch
It's a free download, as suggessted in the URL.

To see the individual characters you have to click on "View" "Show Line
Endings".
It does some other nice stuff, like balance parentheses and braces.

Ali