I am managing an ecommerce app and we are attempting to add Japanese
text descriptions for the products. Currently, I am just doing a test
of concept type of thing. I added another table that has an FK to
products as well as the alternative description column. Our Japanese
partner has supplied us with an Excel file containing descriptions in
katakana which view fine in Excel.

I set the description column's type to nvarchar and set its collation
to be Japanese_BIN, however, when I try to paste the Japanese text
into it, only some of the Roman characters are visible (as the the
descriptions have things like  "100% cotton"), but the Japanese
characters are displayed as blocks.

Could someone point me in the right directions?

Thanks,

Stas