The last time i worked on a site with multiple servers, they had a simple
scheduled task set up to run every half hour or so.  It looks for files in
an upload directory, and if it finds anything, copies the files over to the
production servers, creating new folders if necessary, then deleting the
file from the uploads directory..   So to deploy to production all we
developers had to do was dump the new file in this 'uploads' folder.

The only time we had to go from server to server was in the rare case if the
change was to delete a file where there was no new file.

It's not perfect, but it's simple, and takes care of the vast majority of
code deployment tasks on a working productoin web site, leaving only a few
jobs to be done manually.

Cheers
Mike Kear
Windsor, NSW, Australia
AFP Webworks
http://afpwebworks.com
ColdFusion, PHP, ASP, ASP.NET hosting from AUD$15/month