From: Peter Tilbrook [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, March 21, 2007 12:53 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: The dreaded question of "intellectual property"

Have had an issue for an unyet finished project (despite working my arse
off on it) where the client wants full ownership of the resultant code.

I am very unhappy about this for several reasons:

1. Their remuneration is pathetic (AUD$21 per hour compared to my usual
rate of $65+) - I got close to that much slave labour trawling through
8,000 boxes of dusty file boxes.

2. This will be a major business tool - total automation via ColdFusion,
SQL Server, EFTPOS, email, Credit Card processing and pure Adobe Acrobat
paperless output, most of their business processes, with import/export
between "notebook databases" and the main system, and SMS integration.

3. Our "host" is useless and despite many attempts to get answers they
still do not have secure SSL. I have started looking for a new home for
them surreptitiously.

4. They do not own licenses for either ColdFusion or SQL Server - ouch
for them?

5. There are a LOT of other businesses that would be interested in what
I am creating. So why would I sell so cheaply (or at all).