From: Paul Vernon [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 23 April 2007 14:21
To: CF-Talk
Subject: RE: SES URL handling

Hi Craig,

> I totally gave up on using CF managed SES url's a while back, although
> it might not be 100% useful for you, I'm using a windows mod_rewrite
> equivalent called Linkfreeze.
>
> http://www.helicontech.com/linkfreeze/
>
> It dynamically re-writes all internal links in your source code as it
> delivers content via IIS, well worth checking out but there are many
> other tools to do the same thing.

I wasn't asking about URL rewriting in the traditional sense, I was
asking
about how you handle typos in the URLs...

Eg

http://www.myserver.com/thisiscorrect/          <--- this is ok

http://www.myserver.com/thisiscorect/           <--- this has a typo

Personally, I'd want them both to work with the incorrect one being
detected
and corrected so that rather than serving the 404 handler, it redirects
the relevant content.

This example is a naive one as it could be done with URL re-write but I
want
(and have developed) something more generic that could handle pretty
much
any old rubbish and have a good guess as what is should point at. I'm
just
not sure if there is a better way to do it.

> As for 404 handling, it's just as it would be on any normal site. So
> far
> it's a much simpler solution.

So in your case, am I to understand that if someone entered the second
URL
in my example your server would simply serve the 404? If so then again,
this
is not what I am talking about.

For me, the server should have a modicum of intelligence when it is
looking
at the URLs and be able to provide a closest match to the mistyped URL.
This
is especially useful when you consider the spelling of certain common
words
changes between countries that use the same language where maybe z is
used
instead of s. There are a few exceptions where the words are too far
away
from each other for this to work for instance, Fawcett and Tap, Wrench
and
Spanner, Fender and Wing, Hood and Bonnet but in these cases the
standard
URL rewrite stuff will work just fine.... It's the fuzzy logic cases I'm
wondering about...

As I said, my solution to this is in the 404 handler and uses the SQL
DIFFERENCE function and a levenshtein distance algorithm to determine
which
content in the DB is the closest match to that which was typed. The
DIFFERENCE function pulls out a subset of the links that are reasonably
close matches and the levenshtein algorithm then picks the closest one.

It seems to be effective, I was simply asking if anyone knows if there
is a
better solution?

Paul