Every once in a while on my intranet application I get Database errors.

MS SQL Server will throw an error that the transaction was deadlocked.

It happens around a piece of code in which I have 2 queries, an Update and a
Delete which are nested inside a CFTransaction.

It also happens on another application that we use here at work.

On this page, the only thing happening is an update query.  I checked the
date and time that the error occurred and I did not find 2 competing
transactions, so I was completely baffled as to why a SQL deadlock would
occur on a page where this just a single query.

What I have done is put a CFLock around this, in the hopes that this will
eliminate this error.

If there are 2 users and they are not hitting the same table, but just
hitting the same database, could a deadlock situation occur?

This is the SQL Error I get:

ODBC Error Code = 40001 (Serialization failure)

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Transaction (Process ID 71)
was deadlocked on lock resources with another process and has been chosen as
the deadlock victim. Rerun the transaction.

Thanks,

Ali

The main question is: Is it ok to put a CFLock around one or more cfqueries
that are nested in a Cftransaction.

E.G.:

<cflock>

   <cftransaction>