your code does not correspond to the suggestions for REQUIRED attrib to
work given in the docs.
1) your SELECTED option is a different one than the one with
single-space value
2) your option with single-space value is positioned BELOW the output of
the query driving your cfselect = it will never be a default selected
option even if no other options are selected

---
Azadi Saryev
Sabai-dee.com
http://www.sabai-dee.com