I am also a YUI guy, and not jQuery, but here goes...

To this element: <ul id="navLeft" class="treeview-blue treeview">
Add: style="display: none;"

In the JavaScript that turns the list into a "pretty" tree view, set the
display of that element to "block".  jQuery has special functions for that I
believe, but I'm not familiar with it.  Straight JS would be:
document.getElementById("navLeft").style.display = "block";