> However, if I want to take responsibility to designate an entire folder
> of files for upload, I should be able to do that, too.  Not just one file
> at a time, but choose the folder and all its contents.
>
> Why not?

I think you're completely missing the whole security issue that would be
created if they allowed that.  You see it as functionality to make life
easier for the users.  The hackers see it as a golden opportunity to do
a drive-by upload of your entire hard drive.  Fortunately the people who
design the protocols and standards have the ability to recognize this,
and I, for one, am thankful for that.

-Justin Scott