Solved problem -- I think.

I added a hidden field on the data entry page per example code below and it worked.

 Apparently a TPLT_TXT hidden field required for textarea field to
 pass results to a CFQUERY update action on called page.
<INPUT TYPE="hidden" NAME="TPLT_TXT"   VALUE="#GET_TPLT.TPLT_TXT#">

Obviously it had nothing to do with ODBC, but rather what I consider to be a CF design
inconsistency in the way it handles text areas and text fields.

Any of you Gurus want to explain why this "inconsistency" really is an intended
"design feature"

This newbie is getting very bald.