Rick Faircloth:
> I think you're right, Mark.
>
> Music, especially theory, is very logical and an lot
> like programming...just a different medium.
>
> If you get into orchestral composition, it's quite OO. ;o)

I have a completely untested hunch that the language centers of the
brain have more growth in musicians and programmers than in the general
public.

It seems like sheet music / music theory and coding / programming theory
both are fundamentally about the interpretation of symbols, so it seems
like language development would be the logical neurological link between
them. Friend of mine is a hardware / networking guy, but doesn't do any
programming because he says he just can't retain it. He also happens to
have a tin-ear. ;)

I think part of the difference there may also be the ability to
visualize the model. In hardware / networking there are actual physical
objects that connect together in a particular, specific way, but with
programming (as with language), that's not the case.

Like lines of code, words can be fit together in rather arbitrary and
novel ways. So instead of having a solid mental model of a large system,
what you have is lots of smaller mental models of an individual units in
that system (a word or a component). Instead of having solid, well-known
relationships between the units, their relationships are ambiguous and
constantly open to interpretation or redefinition. Jazz anyone? ;)

--
s. isaac dealey :: AutLabs
Creating meaningful employment for people with Autism

http://onTap.riaforge.org/blog